Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday filled with family, fun, and food. It’s great to include your pet in the festivities, but it’s also important to be aware of a few common hazards that may befall our animal companions on Turkey Day. Learn more below from your San Jose, CA veterinarian.
One of the most common Thanksgiving hazards is one you may not have thought of: anxiety. If guests are coming to your home this holiday, make sure your pet doesn’t get overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle. Before the big day, set up a “quiet zone” in a back bedroom or the basement, complete with a pet bed, a few soft blankets, and some toys. If you see your cat or dog getting agitated during the festivities, lead them to this area.
Keep in mind that many of the foods you’re serving your family may not be suitable for pets. Some are downright toxic to animals—the list includes grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, chives, chocolate, candy, salty foods, and certain types of nuts. Fatty, buttery, or rich foods can also cause an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea. Take care to keep these foods out of pets’ reach.
It’s tempting to slip your pet a bone as a special holiday treat, but think twice. Bones, whether they’re cooked or uncooked, can splinter apart dangerously, creating a laceration hazard. Chunks that break off could also cause intestinal blockage. Instead of bones, try giving your pet a favorite chew toy, a food puzzle toy, or a couple of pet treats.
Will your holiday celebration include alcoholic beverages? Remember that alcohol affects pets the same way it affects us, except that it takes far less to seriously impact the health of our animal friends. The smaller the pet, the greater the danger! Keep a close eye on all beer, liquor, wine, and champagne, and never let your pet imbibe. Even foods cooked with alcohol, like certain cakes and other baked goods, can prove dangerous.
Your holiday garbage bag is full of pet hazards, from bones to toxic foods to fat-covered aluminum foil. Either keep the bag in a separate room where pets can’t gain access, or put it inside of a plastic container so pets can’t rip into it.
Call your San Jose, CA vet for more helpful Thanksgiving safety tips.